DuckDuckGo Ups Ante: Gives $300K to 'Raise the Standard of Trust'
For the seventh year in a row, the search engine that promises not to stalk your online moves puts its money where its mouth is, this year by donating $300,000 to organizations that
System76 Saying Goodbye to Bland Design
Considering that System76 chose to unveil its new design plans to The Linux Gamer -- no invite went to FOSS Force, BTW -- we can't help but wonder if a System76 Steam Machine isn't in the works.

The Screening
The Great Debian Iceweasel/Icedove Saga Comes to an End
Now that Thunderbird is back in the Debian repositories, the decade long dispute that led to all Mozilla products in Debian being rebranded has ended.



The hatchet is finally completely
Back Yard Linux
It's not as lonely being a Linux user as it once was. These days you're liable to find people throughout your neighborhood using Linux.



My how times have changed.

It wasn't long ago that Linux
No, Evil Hackers Aren't After You
Humankind has outgrown the need to have monsters hiding under our beds. Now we let them hide in our phones, computers and microwave ovens.

Roblimo's Hideaway



OMG! I think I see a giant camera lens on
Should the U.S. Army Have Its Own Open Source License?
Should the U.S. armed forces begin releasing software under an OSI approved open source license rather than as public domain?

Roblimo's Hideaway



This question has generated many pixels'
GitHub CEO Chris Wanstrath on Open Source
Did you know that the software Stephen Hawking uses to speak is open source and that it's available on GitHub? Neither did we.

The Screening Room




At the Computer History museum, GitHub CEO Chris
January 28th, 2014

You Say NSA Has Hurt U.S. Tech Sector

Back in the early days of the Snowden affair, when it first became obvious that Microsoft and others had co-operated with the NSA’s agenda to spy on every living human being on the planet who owned a computer, we said this wouldn’t bode well for those who make their living from tech in the U.S. We thought that proprietary software vendors would be most vulnerable due to their lack of transparency, i.e., the lack of available source code, especially after Redmond was exposed for building secret access into Windows.

Back in December, we asked for your opinion in our NSA in the USA Poll.

In this poll, we asked the simple question, “Will the NSA’s online actions hurt U.S. software companies?” The answers offered were:

  • Yes, it will hurt all U.S. software companies.
  • Yes, but only those dealing in proprietary software.
  • Maybe a little but not much.
  • Not at all.

Looking at the results, we’re somewhat surprised by the the lopsidedness of the vote.

[yop_poll id=”31″]

72% of you said that you thought the NSA’s actions would have an effect on the entire U.S. software industry, with 20% of you expressing the opinion that proprietary software developers only would be effected. Taken together, this means that 92% of you are of the opinion that the NSA’s dirty tricks will have a negative effect on the U.S. tech sector. 7% of you answered “maybe a little but not much” with only 1% choosing “not at all.”

This would seem to be a no-brainer. Foreign governments, especially those with a less than stellar relationship with the U.S., were already wary of their dependence on Windows. Snowden’s revelations only served to confirm their fears. Industries located outside the U.S., especially those who’re in direct competition with American firms, have also been put on heightened alert after Snowden revealed in a recent interview that the NSA is also actively engaged in industrial espionage.

2 comments to You Say NSA Has Hurt U.S. Tech Sector

  • Henriette

    Not only does M$ tax you to the hilt with their expensive software but the NSA back-doors you…. Talk about a rock and a hard place… 🙁 If these were individuals they would be on an offenders register…

  • DEaTh to SNowDen

    Can someone go to Moscow and let him disappear for good?